Monday, August 17, 2009

Funky & Fresh - Firefly Grille

After getting settled into my new place, my boyfriend Tyler took me out to dinner to celebrate the move and the fact that I am officially a Nashville resident. After hearing some good reviews from friends, we decided to try Firefly Grille in the popular Green Hills neighborhood of Nashville.

Hidden in a nondescript building that seems to have at one point been a house, the ambiance was fabulous. The funky and eclectic wall and table setting decor give a feeling of comfort with a modern twist. Combined with our delicious meal, the overall dining experience was positive.

We started with a spicy, szechuan oyster appetizer. Although the sauce made the crisp, fried batter of the oysters a little too soggy, the taste was original and had the perfect combination of sweet and spicy.

For entrees, I had the mojo marinated, grilled Gulf shrimp and Tyler had the southwestern carnitas dish. I usually don't order shrimp when I go out to eat (I am snobby about seafood - being from Florida, I grew up absolutely spoiled with seafood so fresh that I often knew who caught it), but the combination of spicy corn and a three-cheese stuffed and fried poblano pepper really drew my attention. It was incredible. The shrimp were very flavorful and grilled perfectly, and the corn added a nice, light balance to the indulgent fried pepper.

Tyler's pork dish was equally satisfying. The pork was so tender that it literally fell off the fork and melted in your mouth. Paired with a side salad with homemade dressings, the meal was an overall success.

Price-wise, it was a mid-priced restaurant. Both of our entrees were under $20, as were the majority of items on the menu. And although the place drew a healthy crowd, we did not have to wait in line to eat dinner on a Saturday night.

I have heard good things about the lunch menu at Firefly, as well, and am looking forward to trying it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment